Monday, April 11, 2011

February--March Observations

February 18thFirst day of mealie-wormies.  Gross.  The mealworms appear to be in a larva state--yellowish and squirmy.  I notice that several have shedded their skin, which means they are on their way to pupation.  However, mealworms shed their skin several times before pupating and I am not sure how long they have been in this stage.  I will have to watch for their transformation.
February 26thOur mealworms are growing up.  Many of them have morphed into the pupa stage, which is evident from the little white/tan blobs embedded in the wheat germ.  Several larvae still squirm about and suck on the rotting apple left in their from when AnnaMarie babysat them.  

So far I have kept them on top of my bookshelf in the living room.  It gets some sun in the daytime and since it is by the window, it may get a little cold at night.  I have not noticed a difference in their activity level between morning and night.  Maybe I will move them to a darker or warmer place and see how they react...
March 4thYes, I still have our mealworm teenagers.  All but two or so have morphed into the pupa stage and I believe they will stay this way for 2 or 3 weeks.  The bedding is starting to rot, but I am afraid to disrupt their pupating process by changing it.  Interestingly, some of the pupae are darker in color than others.  
March 15thOh my goodness, they are beetles.  These guys are HUGE!  They are black with hard shells, and do not squirm quite as much as they did in the larva stage, but they are definitely active.  They are still feeding off this apple--is that bad?  They seem to be alive and well.  I have noticed that they tend to crawl up the sides more than they did when they were worms, probably because now they have little legs.  I’m also pretty sure they have begun to mate...Good luck Abby--you’re next--we are going to be grandparents...
Amber Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment