Friday, February 18, 2011

Goodbye worms

Today I passed off the worms to someone else, but just to cap off my week here is a summary of my observations.

It turns out that mealworms are pretty hardy. They survived several freezing bike rides bouncing around in a plastic bag and a few days where I was gone the entire day and didn't check on them. I was sure they were dead, and so was surprised when I opened the lid and saw they had been eating and pooping and growing.

They don't seem to move very much, but that may be because I am only home when it is dark outside and cold in the apartment. Yesterday I got home a little earlier than usual and the sun was still up so I put the worms in the light. They started to move around and seemed to respond to the warmth and the light. I had them in class today as well which was bright and somewhat noisy. They were a lot more active there than normal. They seem to go into a dormant state when it is cold and dark, maybe as a survival technique.

A few of them have shed their skin, which supposedly happens a few times before they pupate. The next person should watch to see if they pupate

No comments:

Post a Comment